A Few Tools to create Tutorials
I mean, Web, screencast tutorials. I usally love those tiny, short screencasts that teach how to press this button or close that window! Especially when there is some voice explaining this, and labels and tyext boxes help making sense of the explanation!
Wink – [Windows/Linux]
Wink is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software (like a tutor for MS-Word/Excel etc). Using Wink you can capture screenshots, add explanations boxes, buttons, titles etc and generate a highly effective tutorial for your users.
Here is a sample Flash tutorial created by Wink. Click the green arrow button to start viewing it. ——–>
iShowU – [Mac] – $20
Don’t type it, iShowU it
Need to show something to someone? iShowU is your answer! iShowU is designed to record anything on your screen, instantly — both audio, and video!
The concept of Jing is the always-ready program that instantly captures and shares images and video…from your computer to anywhere.
Try it, you’ll like it. It’s free.
CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer and create industry-standard AVI video files and using its built-in SWF Producer can turn those AVIs into lean, mean, bandwidth-friendly Streaming Flash videos (SWFs)
Here are just a few ways you can use this software:
* You can use it to create demonstration videos for any software program
* Or how about creating a set of videos answering your most frequently asked questions?
* You can create video tutorials for school or college class
* You can use it to record a recurring problem with your computer so you can show technical support people
* You can use it to create video-based information products you can sell
* You can even use it to record new tricks and techniques you discover on your favourite software program, before you forget them
Screencast-O-Matic is the free and easy way to create a video recording of your screen (aka screencast) and upload it for free hosting all from your browser with no install!
The last one is a completely web-based application, thus there’s nothing to download!
On the other hand, the following applications are really good and tend to be useful in many situations!
If you are interested, this is the list of open software that has proven to be strong and useful (with a short description as offered by the developers themselves):
* Graphical software
* Supporting software